Jess R. Booth represents beneficiaries, trustees and probate personal representatives in litigated trust estates and probate estates. Mr. Booth represents clients in will and trust contests, complicated estate accounting disputes, disputes requiring extensive forensic accounting to identify misappropriated assets, disputes regarding how a fiduciary has managed an estate (breach of fiduciary duty claims), conservatorship proceedings and elder financial abuse matters. Mr. Booth’s litigation experience includes representing corporate clients in a variety of commercial, unfair competition, trade secret and employment litigation. Mr. Booth uses his extensive litigation experience to identify potential issues and create a strategy for avoiding litigation as he counsels and advises individuals in their estate planning and post-death estate administration.
Mr. Booth represents clients in all forums, including federal and state court, mediation and arbitration. Mr. Booth has been admitted pro hac vice in cases in Arizona, Alabama, Colorado, Oregon, Missouri and Washington.
Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Booth externed for the Honorable James L. Warren and the Honorable Ronald E. Quidichay of the San Francisco Superior Court.
- Represented individuals, licensed professional fiduciaries and corporate fiduciaries in probate and trust litigation.
- Advised trustees regarding their fiduciary duties and the administration of trusts.
- Advised individual and corporate executors regarding probate administrations.
- Advised beneficiaries of trusts and estates regarding their rights.
- Obtained a decision in the Central District of California defeating a highly contentious bid for preliminary injunction over the alleged violation of California wiretap laws.
- Defended internationally recognized luxury lifestyle and hospitality brand in breach of contract suit.
- Obtained settlement for pharmaceutical trial provider in multimillion-dollar dispute with medical product manufacturer.
- Represented skilled nursing facility (SNF) in breach of contact action with contractor.
- Obtained settlement for investor in second deed of trust loans in action against loan broker.
- Defended major magazine publisher in breach of contract action.
- Counsel to national bank in consumer lending litigation.
- Defended multimillion-dollar Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991 (TCPA) case.
- Counsel to environmental product manufacturer in trade secret litigation.
- Represented nationwide sporting goods retailer in product liability matter involving catastrophic injury.
- Counsel to multiple ski and rock climbing equipment manufacturers in product liability and breach of contract matters.
- Defended sporting goods manufacturers trade association in multi-state product liability litigation.
- Trial counsel for insurers in numerous coverage actions across the nation.
- Counsel to an insurance agent in connection with claims of fraud in the sale of multimillions in dollars of stranger-originated life insurance (STOLI).
- Successfully mediated wrongful termination/reverse discrimination matter on behalf of management-side client.
- Represent clients in matters involving enforcement, and defending against the enforcement of, agreements containing noncompetition, nonsolicitation of customers, nonsolicitation of employees and/or nondisclosure of trade secrets covenants.
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- University of San Francisco School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2006
- University of California, Santa Barbara, B.A., Dean’s List, 2002
- Cunneen Booth LLP
– Partner, 2018-Present
- Duane Morris LLP
– Associate, 2006-2018
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers, San Diego Chapter
– Leadership Development Committee Member 2014-2017
- North County Bar Association
- San Diego Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- Listed in Super Lawyers Northern California Rising Stars, 2013
- Listed in Super Lawyers Southern California Rising Stars, 2017 and 2018